Eunomia Research & Consulting undertook research to improve understanding of the impacts of possible changes to the structure and rate of the Waste Disposal Levy.
The study, which was commissioned by a consortium of businesses and councils, showed that there are likely to be real benefits for NZ through putting in place a well-structured levy regime. The research found there would be significant benefits in terms of waste minimisation, employment, and the economy. Key features should include:
- Extending the levy to all types of fills
- A large increase in the rate of the levy
- A differential between ‘active’ waste and ‘inert’ waste
- An escalation to the target rates over time
- Increased monitoring and enforcement, and
- Targeted spending of levy income.
Download the summary report
Download the full reportDownload